This dairy-free take on mac and cheese is the original’s healthier cousin. Cashews, combined with nutritional yeast, yield a cheesy consistency that makes for the ultimate comfort food. As an added bonus, nutritional yeast provides vitamin B12, which is typically only found in animal foods. You can also enjoy this versatile sauce as a dip or in our cauliflower mash!
- 1 cup Cashews, raw
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth, low-sodium
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric, ground
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Paprika, ground – smoked
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 3/4 cup Green Chili Peppers, canned – drained, chopped
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend on medium speed for 30 seconds and then high speed for 15 seconds.
- Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Serve as a dairy-free mac and cheese sauce or as a nacho cheese dip.
Recipe: Creamy Green Strawberry Dream Serving in this recipe:1
- Calories: 236.6
- Total Fat: 3.6 g 5.5%
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g 1.9%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 358.7 mg 14.9%
- Total Carbs: 45.7 g 15.2%
- Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g 39.4%
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Protein: 8.1 g 16.2%
- Vitamin A: 481.9% Vitamin C: 244.1%
- Calcium: 68.5% Iron: 26.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.