Champurrado is a traditional warm, thick Mexican drink served during the holidays, similar to a spiced hot chocolate. Made from corn masa (cornmeal) and flavored with clove, cinnamon, and cacao, this chocolatey drink is like a warm hug in a mug!
- 1/2 cup Corn Flour, Masa
- 2 cup Cashews, raw – soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, then drained
- 6 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Cacao Nibs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 tsp Clove, ground
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon, ground – or one cinnamon stick
- Toast masa in a saucepan on low heat.
- In a blender, add drained cashews and water and blend on medium for 30 seconds, then high for 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender (omit the cinnamon if using a cinnamon stick) and blend on medium for 30 seconds and then on high for 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into a medium pot, add the cinnamon stick if using, and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently to make sure masa does not clump.
- Add more sweetener if desired.
- Pour into mugs and enjoy!
Recipe: Creamy Green Strawberry Dream Serving in this recipe:1
- Calories: 236.6
- Total Fat: 3.6 g 5.5%
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g 1.9%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 358.7 mg 14.9%
- Total Carbs: 45.7 g 15.2%
- Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g 39.4%
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Protein: 8.1 g 16.2%
- Vitamin A: 481.9% Vitamin C: 244.1%
- Calcium: 68.5% Iron: 26.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.